Small Things

This country is full of small things.

SMALL ROADS. I think we've touched on that one already.

Our apartment, surprisingly, is not so small. Our rooms are decently sized. The second floor is an open plan - kitchen, living room, dining room with adjoining sitting room with a view of the river. It was renovated to be this way. Apparently, the apartment next door is divided up into separate rooms. Probably with doors into each room.  That would make the same space feel very small.


So, let's start with the fridge.  Do you recognize it?
This is the refrigerator we all bought for our kids to use in their dorm rooms at college. But even those often had a freezer built in. This one does not.  But we, apparently, are lucky, because the expat who lived here before us said that one tiny fridge just would not do, and she asked the landlord for a second fridge. And he bought one. That one sits on top of the counter.  So, I guess it really is a blessing that there is no Costco nearby, because we certainly could not put in the large boxes of salads that I am used to buying plus anything else.


Next, the food. I think this is a chicken or the egg question. Which came first? Is food packaged in small quantities because there is no room in the fridge? Or is the fridge small because the food industry packages everything in small quantities?  It's interesting.






Almost everything is packaged. I do not see loose fruit and vegetables very often. Apples, peaches, nectarines, etc  are packaged 6 small ones to a bag. Grapes are about a pound to a container. Even bananas are bagged. I cannot just pick out 3 - I must take a bag of 6. So, as a result, I have 3 bananas darkening on my counter.

(this is 5 tiny chicken thighs)









All the containers are small. Small mayonnaise, small milk, small laundry detergent. Even the paper towels are small.  And I don't mean the select-a-size ones (I love those!) Here, the paper towels are actually half the size.

 

And the washer and dryer!  Hobbit-sized (as Leslie says). I can put in 2 regular bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 washcloths. Full. Probably too full. Here is a picture of a top sheet inside the washer.
I am a little afraid to put anything else in with it.

Oh! And it takes over an hour for the washer to do a regular wash!! I do not know why. So, it literally takes all day to do a couple of loads of laundry. Small loads of laundry. Not the once-a-week loads. More like every-3-days loads. I cannot imagine how people with families - children - multiple loads of towels - multiple sets of bed sheets ....

Oh. Never mind on that one. They don't actually use sheet SETS. They do not use top sheets here. Surprise!  But they really love duvets!  And duvets really are wonderful. So, there is a bottom sheet and a duvet.

Which leads me to the next small thing. The Scottish people (and this may actually affect the whole UK) think their beds are "king" sized. They aren't.  I thought at first that our landlord had made a mistake when she told us there was a king and two double beds. Woohoo! We jumped up and down because we love to sleep in a king bed and we relished the idea of having one for a year and half. But it is not a king. We know what a king looks like. It is large and wide and takes up the whole room and you can roll around on it and never touch another person. This is definitely not a king. It is a queen. We know this because we have slept on a queen for 32 years. But they insist. And all their bedding packaging says it is! In fact, you cannot even BUY anything that says it is queen sized!  I heard someone say - and I don't know how much truth there is in this, but it seems like it could be true - that maybe the reason they don't have "queen" beds is because only The Queen sleeps in the queen bed.  So, if you come to the UK and think you are getting a king sized bed, be prepared to be disappointed.

So, to review, here there are single beds, double beds, king beds and super king beds. Yep, the 'super kings' are our king beds. Makes me wonder what would happen to the bed sizes if and when Prince Charles should become king....

Comments

  1. Hi,
    How are the prices of market foods? The fruit come from Italy? Egypt? Spain? Not California I'm sure.
    Do they have a street market? That is where I saw fabric and a wee bit of notions last year.
    Keep posting!
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The prices seem to be ok. I would say the exception is the few things I cannot get here, but for a price (significant price!) I can have them either shipped via Amazon Prime UK or have them sent for the US. Nothing really stands out to me as super high. Maybe gas. "Petrol" is like 1.22 pounds per liter, which makes it about $6 a gallon.
      I have not yet seen any street markets.
      A lot of the fruits and vegetables seem to come from Spain. And my friend seems to be happy with the fruit. I met a woman at the quilting day yesterday who grows her own cherries. In a "poly tunnel." It was explained that that is a polypropylene green house. :). I think I would like to see that.

      Delete
  2. You are making me so appreciative of the U.S. I know when Louise came from Sweden she commented on how big everything is in the U.S. We are spoiled. Thanks for the pictures, too. That is very interesting. With all that packaging, there must be some landfill problems!
    I look forward to your next post!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Your comments post as "unknown" and I cannot figure out from what you write just who you are. Would you please identify yourself?

      Delete
  3. A lot of my exchange students don't wear their clothes and wash them, they wear them until they are too dirty. (I have seen several kids sort through their clothes before washing) So the "weekly washing" is much smaller than we normally do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah...you're learning. We never bought milk at the store. We had it delivered in lovely glass bottles 3x a week. It was very good. We had a full sized fridge but one of the 50s sized models. Freezer on top. So does your second fridge have a freezer?

    Lee's has a question. Have you driven yet? Also are you still getting in on the wrong side of the car? We did that a lot. We both had stick shifts. It took about six months for me to stop scrapping up my knuckles on the door knob.

    Try to find the markets. Our British supermarket did have fresh food that wasn't in packages but I did get most of mine at the market or the commissary. I think market days may be Wednesday and Friday. It depends where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jodi has not driven yet, and she does keep trying to get in
    on the wrong side, but to be fair, i do also. Nothing like jumping in and the first thought is "who stole the steering wheel? "

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Living in Thurso

There and Back Again - An Unexpected Journey

The FQQ’s Quilt Exhibition – and Other Quilty Things