Technology ---grrrr

This is a rant.

I love technology. I really do.

It keeps me connected to all my kids and to my friends. It gives me video instructions on YouTube about how to do things and gives me information in seconds. It lets me look at fabric and patterns even when there is not a quilt shop within an hour's drive. It lets me yard sale with a cup of coffee from the armchair in my house. I can see and speak to people through this fabulous technology and it makes me not feel like I am on the other side of the world from everyone I love.
BUT....
Sometimes (and often, it seems, for me), it just does not work right.

Before I left home (WA), Bryan helped me upload all my files and documents to google drive and then Kathryn set up my phone to sync to the drive. I was set. I used it and it worked. It was wonderful. And all my pictures synced.  It took a bit, but I learned how to get pictures from my phone to the blog. And then I learned how to move them around and make them different sizes and add comments within the blog. This is a big deal for me, as I am sure my whole family would agree.

But on Sunday I wrote a blog post about our very cool adventure to Puffin Rock, along with some really great pictures of the cliffs and peat bogs. And when I went to copy the pictures into the blog post, I discovered that my pictures from the last week did not sync. And I cannot seem to get them from my phone to the computer. And I just cannot seem to figure this out. I have spent HOURS playing with it, trying different things and even researching on the internet. And I am stumped. And frustrated. I need my tech-savvy kids here to fix it and make it all better in the 10 minutes it would take them to figure it out.

I have so many things I want to share with you all. And so much of what I want to share is in pictures. But that post is still sitting there, waiting for the pictures to get figured out.
When it does, you will be the first to know.

Comments

  1. Left alone for 20 minutes...... figured it out - had to turn google photos auto sync off and then back on, don't get why that worked, but it did - now waiting for the 160 pictures to upload..... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it is working!! Heather and I have had several technological "kinks" during our time in Scotland...

      Delete
  2. Technology - We love it, we hate it, we love to hate it and we hate to love it. But it is now an integral part of our lives, and would be most lost without it. How did people ever communicate without email and facebook and texts and Skype or Facetime, or... and blogs and... We had to write individual letters, we had to get the film processed (and hope some pictures turned out), frequently we had to have prints made from specific negatives after looking through the slides. We waited until we had used the entire role before getting anything developed, and frequently that was sometime after we got home from the adventure. We made short phone calls at nights or on weekends to try and talk to our friends/families/loved ones, etc.

    Now we complain when it takes minutes to upload/download the hundreds of pictures we take. OR when someone doesn't answer our electronic communication quickly. When there is some minor inconvenience (as compared to several decades ago).

    Personally, I think that technology, as painful as it can be, is better than it is worse. Enjoy your time over there, seems like you are having a grand adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all that you said, David. It brings back so many memories! And they weren't really that long ago! And you are right - I love to hate it. :). Most of the time it does work really well and I am so thankful for it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Living in Thurso

There and Back Again - An Unexpected Journey

The FQQ’s Quilt Exhibition – and Other Quilty Things