Petty Things


The honeymoon may be over.
Sigh.
I know. I know. Already, you say? I thought, too, that I was made of sterner stuff. 

Yes, it is beautifully green. Yes, I love that it is obvious that I am in Scotland by the way the streets are made and the stone bridges and buildings. And yes, I even love the gentle rain and intermittent sunshine. But Mike went to work today (well, at least for part of the day), and I was here at home to do life. That meant, learn how to use the vacuum cleaner. And migrate between bathrooms with a shower that was not draining and a toilet seat that would not stay put, and going grocery shopping with a list and not being able to find Italian sausage.(I confirmed this today with another ex-Pat and it is true. There is no Italian sausage in the highlands. Though there is a rumor that there is some in Edinburgh).  And standing in the middle of the aisle and wondering what was I going to make for supper if I couldn't find the ingredients I need?   And, while I am extremely grateful that the Scots speak "English," I am discouraged.

I am discouraged because I have to THINK about EVERYTHING.
1. Toilet paper. I have bought Costco Kirkland brand toilet paper for 19 years. NOW I have to think about what kind. And it turns out that the first pack of 4 is not right. It's way too stiff. You know what I mean. It has to be right.
2. Tissues. Same issue. I have bought Kirkland or Kleenex brands or Puffs for EVER.
3. There do not seem to be any clothes detergents or dryer sheets without any added scents. In fact, there is only one box of dryer sheets and they are heavily scented.,
4. I had to learn to use the washer. And the dryer. Seriously. Turns out the washer is smaller than half the load I would normally put in my own washer at home. I'm talking small. The dryer has a WATER CONTAINER that you have to empty after the dryer runs!  WHAT?!?
5. Outlets. I  think that will be an entire post by itself.
6. Operating the stove. Again, outlets and power.
7. The computer and its issues.

OH!  And I thought using Amazon Prime UK was going to be wonderful and an answer to all my wants and desires for things not attainable while here, but I was woefully sad when I learned how much stuff costs!! I am, in particular, talking about Better Than Bouillon. This is what I use in recipes calling for bouillon or stock when I do not have my own. It is also what I use to enhance my own homemade stock. I have looked carefully through 3 grocery stores and not only do they not carry Better Than Bouillon, they don't carry anything like it. No. They only have those little tasteless cubes. Costco sells a 16 oz jar for about $5. Amazon wants 18 POUNDS for an 8 oz jar!! How am I supposed to make soup?!

And then, to top it off, I had been told there was a Costco in Inverness. I am making a list. Toilet paper, tissues, paper towels, and bouillon. We may have to make a trip there soon and I am going to be ready. So, I went online to see where it is. THERE IS NO COSTCO IN INVERNESS!




But at the end of the day, Mike is here. (He had his own challenges today) And we are together and we walked up to High Street after supper for some ice cream. And after we found the ice cream shop closed, we bought a half pint of hazelnut ice cream at the Co Op, which we brought home and ate looking at the river through our picture window.

Comments

  1. If it helps- we've all had those same feelings. It's a lot to get used to but keep looking for the good things as I see you are and before too long it will all be second nature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hard to adjust, but you are string ,these are just small obstacles, you WILL overcome. Tomorrow is a new day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spent enough time as an expat to appreciate ALL the struggles you mentioned...if it's any encouragement it DOES get better. The first weeks are spent learning a HUNDRED MILLION different little things that, taken one at a time, are no big deal, but taken all at once are overwhelming. How do you flush the damn toilet and why do they put those stupid @#$% switches on outlets that get in the way and all that and what do you have to do to find something Mexican-flavored and all that. And this process is physically, emotionally, and spiritually draining. (Culture shock is a real thing). One of the most surprising things for me was feeling like I wanted to sleep about 11 or 12 hours a day, especially during those first few weeks. And I would recommend that on days when that is an option, DO IT. Sleep. It's not being lazy, it's not cocooning, it's giving your body the added rest it needs during the adjustment times. It also makes tempers short, and it causes small things to easily provoke discouragement and frustration. So--if it's a tiny bit of encouragement, it's normal, and it's temporary. You will soon discover lots of things that you will miss about Scotland when it's time to leave. And it won't be too long before the novelty (both the good and the bad) wears off, and life becomes normal-feeling. (And BTW there IS a Costco in Aberdeen, it's a bit further south, but it's a beautiful drive from where you are.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now we know what to bring when we visit. If you don't find something you like better, and you will miss when you return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear friends! Thank you all for your encouragement! I think I may have come across as though I am falling apart. Let me assure you that is not the case. I am doing very well! I even have friends already! Three, to be exact! Cathy - who lives 3 doors away and who welcomed me by email about 2 weeks before we arrived. Leah, who lives across the river and is the wife of Mike's boss. She and I took a lovely long walk this morning through the drizzle and the breeze and got to know each other. And Liz, who is the quilter who owns the filling station across the street from where I live. She dropped by just now with her little sewing machine for me to use until I find one and will take me with her next week to the monthly gathering of quilting ladies.

    I just do not like to use my brain. It hurts. :). I am not an enthusiastic learner. I own this. Kathryn - she is a learner. She likes the challenge of figuring stuff out. So does Mike. But not me. But I believe this will all be good for my brain. Ward off Alzheimer's and all that.

    I do know that probably in a few short weeks, I will have worked out much of this little stuff and life will just breeze along. In the meantime, I am finding a lot of humor in it (NOT in the lack of bouillon, though. No humor there. That's serious stuff!). I am grateful that I do not have a job to work in around it all or small children to tend to. I can spend all day just doing laundry. And buying groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh...yes. All those strange, wonderful frustrating things about living in a foreign country. At least I still had the base commissary. But I learned to like and appreciate many things British. Like tea and Hob Nobs (the ones with chocolate ROCK). But, sadly you can't live on Hob Nobs. Knorr bouillon is very good and you might be able to find that. Try not to do the price conversion in your head for everything, it will make you crazy. I love that you have a built in support system already. You will be fine and I know that you will profit from the experience. Remember the favorite military expression...That which doesn't kill you...you know the rest. But I like the one we used in weather...Siemper Gumby...Always Flexible. I have faith in you abilities to adapt, improvise and overcome (marine adage). I think there is a theme here. Embrace the crazy! It helps. Love you bunches! Did you send this to Heather? Oh gosh...those tiny Hobbit washers and dryers! It took forever to wash laundry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay Lee says I need tell you that I have withheld vital info. Not on purpose mind you. But this was one entertaining read! It's more fun to discover some of these things on your own. Besides it makes for fodder for your blog. Looking forward to Mike chiming in on his end. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Living in Thurso

There and Back Again - An Unexpected Journey

The FQQ’s Quilt Exhibition – and Other Quilty Things