The Castle of Mey

Anyone out there watch "The Crown?"

Well, I will admit I binged-watched it last winter just because I enjoy British shows and I quickly got caught up in it.  I learned A LOT from it. And it helped me make some connections. Like, when I saw "The King's Speech" several years ago and learned about Bertie who ended up being King George the 6th. In the first couple of episodes, I was able to make some connections.   In "The King's Speech," Bertie has 2 young daughters - Elizabeth and Margaret. In "The Crown," the two young daughters are now grown. When King George dies, the oldest, Elizabeth, becomes Queen.
There may be many of you out reading this and saying, 'duh' or 'so what?' but for me it was interesting and exciting to make that connection.

Soooo, the next connection comes here - Bertie's (King George's) wife ELIZABETH was QUEEN Elizabeth's mother and becomes known as THE QUEEN MOTHER. And we get to see her in "The Crown."   (The two Elizabeths were confusing for me)

Now, all of this is leading up to a particular scene in the series. Do you remember the episode where the Queen Mother goes to Scotland and on one of her walks, she passes by a small castle that she becomes interested in because it is for sale? When she inquires about buying it, the owner does not know who she is. But once he learns who she is, he wants to just give it to her. But the Queen Mum insists on paying for it and pays the man 100 pounds.

I went to that castle yesterday!! 
this is the back side of the castle

The Castle of Mey is in the town of Mey, which is about 15 miles from here. My friend Leah took me yesterday (on the MOST beautiful day since I have been here, I might add). And while it was an unguided tour, there were employees in each of the main areas to give visitors information about the room and the Queen Mother. And it was so interesting! But they would not allow pictures inside the castle, so you only get to see the outside.






a view of part of the garden

















In spite of being royalty, the Queen Mum was a regular woman. A lot like me, I think. She liked to walk the beach and collect sea shells and groatie buckies. She liked to shop at the charity shops in Thurso and Wick!!! (LOL!) and was known to bring various "treasures" back to the castle, including kitchen items back to the castle kitchen staff, who probably groaned a little each time. She liked to take picnic lunches and would pull the car off the road and pull out a chair and eat her picnic lunch on the side of the road. She had a sense of humor and treasured things given to her. A picture that her young grandchild painted is framed on the wall. A lamp covered with seas shells that the local Sunday school children made for her is on a stand in a common area.

The castle is actually quite small for a castle, I think. And if it weren't for the turrets, it would just look like a large stone house. The inside is very comfortable and homey. Not 'royalty' looking at all.

this is Katrina, another new friend who volunteers in the garden
In all the pictures I have seen of the Queen Mother, she always looked so regal. Like a queen. But I believe she was just a regular person on the inside. I think I would have enjoyed having a conversation with her at a picnic on the side of the road and shopping with her at the charity shops. That is my kind of woman!

The gardens at the Castle of Key are lovely. And local people go there regularly to volunteer their time to pull weeds and trim bushes. They have a lovely large greenhouse where they grow lots of tomatoes. Apparently, Prince Charles likes tomatoes. And Prince Charles comes here once a year, in August, for the Highland Games, and stays at the Castle of Mey .  Maybe we'll see him this year.

Comments

  1. I loved British history. It is fascinating. And it is a part of us. I am an unabashed Anglophile. That woman loved her horses! Dick Francis, mystery writer, was her jockey for many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please explain what a groatie buckle is. Love the new terms.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Living in Thurso

There and Back Again - An Unexpected Journey

The FQQ’s Quilt Exhibition – and Other Quilty Things